Recently, I tried a fat burner to lean out… it didn’t work. Then I had a brainwave: why don’t I test the stuff I prescribe to you guys? — basically old school techniques, the stuff that’s been around for ages — tried and true. I was even surprised by the results!
After two weeks, (honestly, I can hardly believe the results):
- Body weight decreased 1.6lbs
- Waist reduced of 0.5 inch
- Body fat reduced 0.6%
- Lean muscle mass was also reduced – 0.6lbs.
I got amazing results doing the following three “old school” things.
1. Log diet.
I logged one day to confirm that I was in taking the right amount of calories and the correct percentage of protein, carbs and fat for fat loss. For my typical day, I needed to incorporate small changes, including: eliminating 1 tbsp of nut butter and reducing daily caloric intake by another 100.
Studies prove that loggers lose more weight than people who skip this step. Some trainers even fire clients who refuse to log.
- I used MyFitnessPal to track my total daily consumption – it’s a free mobile and web-based app — super easy to use
- Contact me, if you need help calculating your caloric requirements
2. Increase Cardio
- Did cardio in a fasted state. Fasted cardio leads to higher levels of fat-burning hormones. That’s why bodybuilders have been doing fasted cardio – it gets great results.
- Added intensity to my high intensity interval training – more body weight training & longer, faster intervals
- Added 5 mins to my steady state cardio after strength training, for a total of 20 mins.
3. Add Supplements
- Started taking BCAA during training – you need this supplement when training in a fasted state. It prevents muscle breakdown, results in more muscle and a faster metabolism for you.
- Took 1 tsp of Glutamine with water before bed time. Glutamine will help build and maintain lean muscle. It stimulates natural growth hormones which plays an important role in metabolism. It starts to decline at age 30, and decreases by 2% every year. If you don’t have enough growth hormone, you may experience an increase in belly fat, sagging skin and a decrease in muscle mass.
- Started taking Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) – Data published in the Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology (December 2000) reported that CLA is one of only a few supplements proven to reduce body fat and assist in increasing lean muscle mass, even without a change to caloric intake.
Supplementation is only effective with a good nutrition and exercise plan. I want to emphasis that you cannot out train a bad diet & there is no magic pill. Keep your money unless you’re using the products to supplement a good exercise and nutrition plan.
About three months ago a client insisted on trying a fat burner. I had never tried one — even when I was preparing for the Ms.Figure Competition. I tried it to get the same experience as my client.
I chose a product with a new ingredient: COLEUS. According to the manager at Popeye’s, the product had a lot of success in recent studies and had a lot of promise despite the fact that it was new. I used 110 caplets (about a months worth). There was no change in body weight, body fat or waist circumference. The product made me feel dizzy and lightheaded (it’s loaded with Caffeine). Sometimes I even had trouble completing workouts if I had taken a dose an hour or so before training. Under this test, I kept the same diet and exercise program. If I had to label my “diet” I’d call it a high fat, carb-managed-around-training diet : ). Training was a mix for muscle gain & leaning.
- The Carb Sensitivity Program – Dr. Natasha Turner
- TNation – Clay Hyght, DC – 3/16/2011