It’s important to balance your workouts with vertical and horizontal movements (and both push and pull movements, but that’s a topic for another day). So how do you work your back muscles with a horizontal pull? A set of exercises called Y raises. I have to admit that I neglected them from my own training until recently… when I noticed the muscle imbalance.
Here’s how to execute the movement.
- Lie facedown on top of a Swiss ball.
- Keep your back flat and your chest lifted off of the ball.
- Let your arms hang straight down from your shoulders.
- Your palms are facing each other, with thumbs up.
- Raise your arms at a 30-degree angle to your body (so that they form a Y) until they’re in line with your body. Pause, then slowly lower back to the starting position.