Have you ever lost your drive to lose fat after doing great for 3-4 weeks? Yes, I know — What’s up with that? Me too, in my quest to become super lean, some days I just want to throw in the towel.
I’ve come to realize there are 4 very key mental components you need to command in order to reach your goal.
- This seems obvious, yes?
- But “lose weight” is not a goal. You need to be very specific – the more details, the better. How much fat?, and by when?, do a reality check — is your goal realistic?.
- A goal properly set is half way reached – Abraham Lincoln.
- Goals serves as the road map and give a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
Find your Motivation
- This is a big one! Finding a powerful reason “why” is how you can break through the urge to stop your exercise program and nutrition plan.
- You have to know why you want to reach your goal. If you don’t, you’ll never commit 100%.
- You need to dig deep, fitting into your skinny jeans isn’t always reason enough.
- Determine why it’s important for you to lose fat and tone up. Ask yourself these questions:
- When you reach your goals, in what ways will life be different?
- What benefits are most important to you?
- On a scale of 1-10, (1 being not important at all, 10 being top priority), how important is it for you to make those changes right now?
- How will you feel when your goal is reached? Can you inspire friends and family?
Have a plan
- You need to plan your nutrition and exercise.
- Schedule your exercise sessions and make these engagements non-negotiable.
- It doesn’t have to be a huge time commitment; 10-15 minutes a day can improve your state of mind, your overall health and your life expectancy.
- Check out this related blog: http://www.janetfougere.com/wordpress/?p=1074
- Plan your meals for the week — it also makes grocery shopping easier.
- Pack and prepare everything you need for the day so that you don’t revert to a quick fix that will sabotage your hard work.
- In order to be successful you must hold yourself accountable to certain tasks.
- Let everyone know what your goals are — Ok yeah I know: there are negative people in the world (don’t tell them). Surround yourself with people who support you and your goals. Every time you bump into them they’ll ask you how it’s going.
Once you have a goal and you push through the tough workout or you pass up the cake you’re dying to have – NOTHING will stop you.
Check out these folks from the Boston marathon. Watch to see how one contestant gets across the finish line after shear exhaustion & physical failure. Amazing!