I find these strategies result in fat lose for the majority of clients most of the time. If you incorporate the 5 simple habits into your daily routine it will naturally lead to improved caloric intake, nutrient timing and food selection.
1. Time your meals. Eat every 2-4 hours. This is the most important habit, be mindful when you eat.
2. Eat lots of fruit & veggies. Make sure you have at least 2 servings of fruit or veggies at every meal. (one serving is about .5-1 cup, 2 cups for leafy vegtables)
3. Indulge in carbs after exercise. Have you exercised today? If not, opt for fruit & veggies and pass on pasta, cereal, bread, rice etc. I like this one, and am often motivated to go for a run so I can have my quinoa bread and almond butter… Yummmy. This practice is applicable if you have fat to lose.
4. Incorporate lean, complete protein. Does your meal contain protein? Make sure you have a serving at each meal. Sources include lean meats, fish, eggs, low-fat dairy, tofu and protein supplements. Approximately 30% of your calories should come from protein.
5. Include healthy fats. Each meal needs a serving of healthy, unsaturated fats from animal foods, avocado, olive oil, mixed nuts, flaxseed, flaxseed oil or fish oil. About 30% of your diet should come from fat.
Here’s to you being Happy, Healthy, Lean and Fit.