The first thing I put in my body every morning is a shot of lemon and organic apple cider vinegar. I got into this habit while under the care of a naturopath who was working to clear up my skin and detoxify the body. I didn’t even realize how much benefit this ritual provided until recently, when I received a blog from Lee Hayward (a body builder from Newfoundland). Some of the details are borrowed/stolen directly from his post.
Ten to thirty minutes before eating breakfast, drink 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a 1/2 cup of water. As a separate drink, squeeze 1/2 a lemon in warm water.
Make sure the apple cider vinegar is organic. I get mine at SuperStore in the natural health isle.
There are many benefits to both potions. Let’s look at lemons first.
- Lemon juice promotes a healthy digestion, it cleanses the liver and has a natural ability to prevent heartburn. It’s a staple in the European countries after large meals.
- Because lemons are rich in vitamin C they help strengthen the immune system and increase the body’s resistance to infections.
- Lemons contain lots of vitamin C which is known to improve the quality of skin. Sometimes acne can indicate a deficiency in vitamin C. Lemons also have anti-aging property because of its healthy dose of antioxidants.
- Lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods you can eat. They’re acidic on their own, but in the body, lemons are alkaline. The citric acid does not create acidity once it’s been metabolized and the minerals in lemons actually help to alkalize the blood. Most people are too acidic (from eating too much sugar and grains), and drinking warm lemon water helps reduce overall acidity. This reduces the pain and inflammation.
- The American Cancer Society recommends warm lemon water to encourage regular bowel movements.
- The scent of lemon juice has been shown to improve mood and energy levels, and reduce anxiety. Plus the detoxifying effect and alkalizing effect of fresh organic lemon juice can improve your energy through the removal of toxins from your body.
- Since lemon juice helps to improve your digestive system, aids in removal of toxins, and increases your energy levels, this all combines together to help you to lose body fat as well through improving your hormonal balance… Yet another reason to add warm lemon water to your daily morning routine!
Now for apple cider vinegar….
- Apple Cider vinegar can aid in weight loss. In a 2009 study published in Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, it was found that subjects that consumed acetic acid for 12 weeks experienced significant declines in body weight, abdominal fat and waist circumference.
- Research shows that Apple Cider vinegar can help detoxify the liver.
- Believe it or not, research suggests that apple cider vinegar can help with allergies because of its ability to reduce mucous and sinus congestion. When reducing the effects of allergies, it can also help stave off sinus infections and their related symptoms (sore throats and headaches).
- This vinegar is rich in natural enzymes that can help rid your body of yeasts that are attributed to thrush in humans, and for creating symptoms of fatigue, poor memory, sugar cravings, and yeast infections.
So there you have it, what are you doing before breakfast tomorrow? Let me know if you try it.