Fiber keeps bellies feeling full yet looking flat – and this flavorful protein shake provides almost half of your daily fiber needs.
By Charmaine Broughton-Dunn; Photography Maya Visnyei
Featured in Oxygen Women’s Fitness Magazine
Here are a few more reasons to add this drink to your diet:
- Whey protein contains a unique set of bioactive compounds that have been shown to slow down fat synthesis, while stimulating fat burning and muscle building.
- Water helps remove waste from your body – a boon when consuming high-fiber foods.
- Apple skins pack insoluble fiber, the kind that passes through your digestive system largely unchanged, promoting bowel regularity and, in essence, keeping your waistline trim.
- Prunes deliver high amounts of soluble fiber, which has been shown to control blood sugar levels to provide a sense of fullness, which can help prevent you from overeating.
- Natural peanut butter is a cholesterol-free and inexpensive protein source.
- Just a tablespoon of ground cinnamon has the same amount of antioxidants as four ounces of grape juice.
- Fresh ginger helps to relieve body aches.
- Cardamom contains cineole, which lends its potent antiseptic properties to kill bad-breath bacteria in your mouth.
Spiced Apple Shake
Ready in 5 minutes (not including overnight freezing time) • Makes 1 serving
- 1 small apple, cored, chopped into chunks and frozen (skin left on)
- 1/4 cup dried, pitted prunes, frozen
- 1 tbsp all-natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 3/4 cup chilled water
- Place all ingredients in blender and pulse until well blended.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 390, Total Fats: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Sodium: 50 mg, Carbohydrates: 60 g, Fiber: 10 g, Sugars: 37 g, Protein: 22 g, Iron: 1 mg